Hosted by the National Reentry Resource Center with funding support from the U.S. Department of Justice’s Bureau of Justice Assistance
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) last year developed Your Money, Your Goals, a toolkit designed to help corrections and reentry staff and volunteers have conversations about financial empowerment with people returning to communities after incarceration. As a companion product to the toolkit, CFPB recently released Focus on Reentry, a guide detailing the financial challenges people may face during the reentry process.
During this webinar, participants learn about how to use the Your Money, Your Goals toolkit and the Focus on Reentry guide to help people returning to their communities after incarceration achieve their financial goals.
The toolkit and guide help corrections and reentry staff talk to people returning to their communities after incarceration:
- Prioritizing money challenges and goals;
- Understanding their rights if they have criminal records in their background reports;
- Prioritizing debt, including criminal justice debt;
- Ordering and fix credit reports;
- Knowing their rights when a debt collector contacts them;
- Avoiding tricks and traps when choosing financial products; and
- Deciding whether a checking account is appropriate and understanding what is needed to open one.
- DeAnna Hoskins, Senior Policy Advisor, Bureau of Justice Assistance, U.S. Department of Justice
- Mary Griffin, Senior Advisor, Office of Financial Empowerment, CFPB
- Inger Giuffrida, Trainer, ICF International
- Mary Heidel Haight, Corrections Project Manager, CSG Justice Center email@example.com